Tue. Jan 24, 2006

Chirptronica

It seems that every two to three weeks, in the course of eating, sleeping, working, and goofing off, I still manage to squeeze out some form of audio mayhem and claim it as music. People talk about how they’re good for maybe 3,000 words per day (no matter how you divide it up, email, work, or blogging). I’m apparently good for about 4 minutes of music every three weeks or so.

Or bad for it. You be the judge.

Today’s offering is another of those blatantly self-descriptive titles: “Chirptronica” (4:23, 7.5MB). Discerning listeners might recognize that the distorted synth pattern about two minutes in (during the bridge) is actually a pilfered sample from “The Hand That Feeds” by NIN (which Trent Reznor kindly released in the Garageband format just so rookies like me could play with it)

Other tunage can be found on the downloads page.

1  Gary Farber wrote:

I have a comment about “The Firefly Season 2 Project,? but since there’s no direct comment spot there, I leave it here; hope that’s okay.

My observation: Mr. Whedon will be occupied with Wonder Woman for the next year. This makes said project a tad quixotic, or at best, long term.

To be honest, it strikes me as a huge waste of people’s time. If Whedon wants to make time to do a direct-to-DVD film when he’s done with WW—and as I point out here, if it’s a success, he’s liable to be handed other opportunities that may preclude that, sentiment aside—he either will or won’t, and I think it unlikely that what is essentially a petition project is going to greatly affect his decision one way or another.

Mind, I’ll stand second to few as a Firefly/Whedon fan. And if people want to spend time on the project, fine, good, more power to them. But I do suspect it’s basically superflous.

Ah, right, you kill embedded URLs.

Fine. As I said here: http://amygdalagf.blogspot.com ... that.html

Gary: “I have a comment about ‘The Firefly Season 2 Project,’ but since there’s no direct comment spot there, I leave it here; hope that’s okay.

No, it isn’t. It really really isn’t.

And, as you can see, you can embed links, just as described at the top of the comment box.

3  Gary Farber wrote:

I’m sorry.

Ried,
The dirt is still loose from where I buried Dan. You want I should deal with ‘dis guy too?

; )

No, take the money I gave you and get that crooked nose fixed.

6  DanS wrote:

Ried(sp),
The dirt is still loose from where I buried Dan.

???

I’m not sure why I should be buried, & I’m certainly not sure that I am buried.

I’m truly wondering: what is the purpose of an internet blog?

If it is to have a historical record of thoughts & impressions as caused by daily events, why not simply post to a CD or DVD?

If it is to say things and see how it resonates with those who read it, why shoot the messenger?

I can truly understand my error in posting in the wrong area and even posting off-topic, but I say again that I am having trouble in understanding that the purpose of a blog is to ‘bury’ a person who reads and thoughtfully responds.

Perhaps you can enlighten?

I’m truly wondering: what is the purpose of an internet blog?

Whatever the author deems it to be. Period. You don’t get a vote. At many places, you don’t get to even leave one measly comment.

?????

Why post a 600MB CD in order to place perhaps 20kb of text in an article? Why make people download a CD rather than simply render words in their browser? Your question seems to be, why place a historical record of thoughts and impressions as caused by daily events on the web, and not allow you to comment?

I don’t know, I’m not like that, as you well know. But you can go ask this person, or this person. They don’t allow comments. I do.

On this site, I am the messenger. Not you.

Dan, it’s a joke. J-O-K-E.

I’ve now had two threads (one about Iran, and one about my piddly music attempts) entirely derailed by this.

I’m still able to laugh. Can you give it a try?

I’ve said I’m going to change things here to accommodate people like you and Gary who wish to leave comments on the links and quotes. I’ve admitted I was foolish to think I could control where people post things on this site.

And I’ve joked about it.

I’m not sure what more you want from me. Would you rather I remain pissy about this, or can we maybe joke a bit and move on with our lives? Would you rather I say “since you commenters can’t [a] follow the simple rules I post here, or [b] get along swimmingly with each other all the time, I’m shutting down all comments

I can do that.

Or could you maybe not take all this so seriously and personally? You’ve admitted you posted an off-topic comment, Gary came along and did the same on this entry, and then emcee made a joke about it.

That’s all that happened here.

Note … no one has said a damn thing about my song in the comments on this page. It’s all about other BS. But that’s my problem, eh?

What’s yours? Maybe you need to spell out for my other commenters exactly how you’d like them to respond to you. Maybe you need to spell out for me exactly how you’d like for me to run my site, and punish commenters who stray from your views.

Because I’m now at a complete loss on how to deal with you, Dan. There seems to be no pleasing you, yet you seem to think that’s what this site is for. In fact, you ask me about the purpose of my site: “If it is to have a historical record of thoughts and impressions as caused by daily events, why not simply post to a CD or DVD?

Perhaps I’ll do that, Dan.

Recent events had me convinced I should acutally open up comments more, as I’ve said. But today, I’m thinking it might be wiser to shut them down completely.

Tell me why I shouldn’t.

8  ruminator wrote:

Funny (in the odd way) that you should mention this right here. I’ve been wrestling with the same issue on my own webspace. No, I haven’t published anything about my thoughts, but I’ve been wondering why-the-hell am I still doing this?

I’ve considered shutting down the comments completely. I may do that yet.

I’ve considered giving up blogging for the time being and concentrating on my off-line journals.

I really don’t know what to do. Well, maybe with the exception of usurping the thread on your site. :)

What do you think, Dude? Should we drink the Kool-Aid together?

ruminator wrote about Kool-Aid.

I responded here.

Dan,

I’m just playin’, dude! (I thought y’all came to a nice understanding over on the original thread, otherwise I wouldn’t have said anything.)

apologies.