Wed. Aug 17, 2005

Sound Infliction, #2

As of right now, about 60 people have downloaded the first MP3 I made in Garageband (I told Susan I am now a rock star, so she must be my groupie), and not one person has come forward to say, “Reid, it sucks” (though it’s not too late). Based on this overwhelming encouragement (what do you mean, “apathy”?), I’m assaulting you with Sound Infliction, #2.

But I learned a few things. This one’s got better structure (it almost goes somewhere, but then runs out of gas before it gets there), a little better mix, and some cool sounding Indian tabla blended with cheesey 70’s clavinet, and some “Secret Agent” surf style guitar. I’m definitely more pleased with it than the first one. And one of these days I may even figure out a decent way to end these things.

Remember, it’s not a “song,” it’s a construct: Download “Mystical Secret Agent” MP3 (5.3MB, 3:50) Update: as of 8/23, this download links a much better mix than the original

This is starting to get good. I was convinced that Shaft’s Big Score was about to start coming through my monitor. I wonder if they have a Duane Eddy guitar style in there somewhere. Oops, forget that, I’m just contaminating the creative energy. I’ll check around and see if there’s an open source linux version and send my weirdness in that direction.

2  Norbert Taylor wrote:

Hey there, Reid.

How’s it going?

This is a fun little construct you’ve made. Oddly. there’s something about the beginning which reminded me—somewhat indirectly, I think—of the music the 25th century supergroup Andromeda played in some Buck Rogers episode whose title eludes me. (And I’m much too lazy to look it up; Gil Gerard does not deserve that kind of effort from me.)

I hope everything’s going well.

RTurner: “I was convinced that Shaft’s Big Score was about to start coming through my monitor.

I’m finding it’s more likely to come out sounding like that than say, Nirvana or Velvet Revolver. Garageband (out of the box) doesn’t seem to have the chops, er, loops for straight ahead rock. But there’s oodles of odd percussion, bass, and synth lines, so it often sounds more … dancey … than I might want.

I wonder if they have a Duane Eddy guitar style in there somewhere.

The guitar loop in this construct is labeled “Secret Agent Guitar,” and I think that’s about as close as it gets to Duane Eddy.

Don’t think so, and sorry for speading the virus. I’ve already had to convince my wife she is not licensed or bonded to operate the Mac, as she has some actual music skills, sees me having too much fun with this, and thinks she should play, too.

Mine, all mine!

Norbert: “Hey there, Reid.

Norbert! It seems about once a year or so, you pop up in my e-mail or on my site.

Thanks for the kind words, and more: Norbert Got Blog! And apparently has for some time. Are you truly no longer in Atlanta?

4  Norbert Taylor wrote:

Yeah, it’s true, I have a blog. :-) I started it out on Typepad last year, but moved it over to this new domain a week ago. I’m having fun with it (and since it’s running on Wordpress and I know my way around PHP, I can modify its functionality, should the mood ever strike), even if it is a pattently ridiculous undertaking. After all, it’s my pattently ridiculous undertaking, so I’m OK with it.

And it’s true, yes, I left Atlanta as the end of last year. I moved (back) to the Chicago area on a strange whim.

I do things like that.

Hey, Norbert. Remember me from, what was it? mindspring.www? In the prehistoric past. I was just up in Chicago at a trade show and absolutely loved it. I was about ready to call up a moving van when I got back. Still, it’s hard to leave Kennesaw. There’s the Marietta Diner, The Big Chicken is pretty close by and we’ve even got a brand new 10 Commandments statue in front of the courthouse.

6  Norbert Taylor wrote:

RTurner: “Hey, Norbert. Remember me from, what was it? mindspring.www? In the prehistoric past.

Wow. Yeah, mindspring.discussion and mindspring.www. Almost ten years ago. I’m surprised you remember me.

I was just up in Chicago at a trade show and absolutely loved it.

Yeah, I really like it here. I went to college here, and I’ve missed it on some level ever since I’d left for Atlanta. Chicago’s a great place to be in a lot of ways—especially for a non-driving movie-lover such as me—and I can see myself living here a good eleven years (which is, much to my own disbelief, how long I ended up spending it Atlanta. That wasn’t the plan when I went down there), too.

Still, it’s hard to leave Kennesaw.

Indeed. It’s that Cobb county gravitational pull. I had a hard time leaving Vinings. (Well, OK, maybe some of that had to do with my not having a car, but in all seriousness I do find myself missing it from time to time.)

Norbert: “After all, it’s my pattently ridiculous undertaking, so I’m OK with it.

Well, speaking of “ridiculous undertakings,” why, I believe you’re soaking in it! Middle aged white guy with no skillz releasing pseudo-demi-funky MP3's. Just because he can.

I think that’s what blogs are all about. Or rather, what they’re supposed to be about.

I moved (back) to the Chicago area on a strange whim

Well, it’s isn’t Atlanta, but I hear the Land of Phineas can be a pretty cool place.

RTurner: “mindspring.www

Ah, fond memories. It was six or maybe even seven years ago that I asked Norbert, “hey, what’s with the extra “/” in your break tags?” He said it was part of some new-fangled thing called XHTML that he needed to work with XML, and I thought, well, that’s esoteric stuff I’ll never need to worry about.

Ha ha ha (view source). Ho ho ho (two RSS feeds in the right column).

Back in '96, that newsgroup (and some others “in the wild”) was primary education for me.

Yeah, I remember you’d be talking about CSS at a time when I not only hadn’t heard of it, but was recovering from the shock of watching Microsoft Frontpage “fix” a bunch of perl scripts I had on my site. I think it was around ‘97 or ‘98, at least that’s the last time I used Frontpage.

Reid needs to add sarcasm tags to this site, or at least smileys, but I can’t complain because he just fixed my broken Textpattern upgrade.

I have a small art jewelry company and we finally got recognition at that trade show up in Chicago. Got into a bunch of museums and galleries, plus I had a blast. I could get used to Chicago. But as far as films, we’re startin’ to get some good stuff here. I went to this last year and it’s coming back in early September.

9  Steve Stewart wrote:

Man! Richard, Paul, Todd, and now Norbert all reading Reid’s blog!

Almost like the mindspring.* days.

As a weird aside, about 3 years ago Norbert and I realized we both lived in the same apartment complex in Vinings. We never actually SAW each other, but we lived less than 300 yards apart !

And Richard, Marietta Diner is actually my wife’s and my special “spot.”

We ate their right after getting our marriage license, and every “month” anniversarry for our first year. The deserts almost make living in Cobb worth it.

Ok, Reid, I’ll chill with the Off Topic post now.

Steve

10  edudude wrote:

Hey Reid!

I think you finally have theme music to go with your “Secret Service” pic. I hope you remember the photo – it is somewhere on this site!

By the way, we are about to buy some technical gadgetry and will need your help – advice – wisdom. The Secret Service look is be optional.